Whenever I work with Visual Studio doing MVC development, I find that starting the web-site from a recompile takes far too long. So I asked my pal Tobias why it’s so fast when he’s doing it. The answer
I don’t do a full rebuild and I don’t attach the debugger
- Press Ctrl-F5 to start the website without the debugger
- Use the browser
- If you make changes,
- hit Shift-F6 to compile and update only the project of the file you’re currently in.
- if the solution has focus, the entire solution is rebuilt
- hit F5 to update the browser with the changes.
- If you need to debug attach the debugger by pressing Ctrl+Alt+P
Thanks, Tobias. I’m writing this blogpost so I won’t have to ask you again!